Why Join Ethical Culture?
In a word: COMMUNITY.
When you choose to join Ethical Culture, you become part of a supportive community that nurtures the spirit, respects the intellect, and connects you to others who value the importance of making this world better for all of us.
Each person may find something different here. NYSEC is a place for personal growth, where you come on Sunday mornings for uplifting music and inspiring talks. It’s a place for social gatherings, to meet friends and see familiar faces. It’s a place for education, where you can learn to write or draw, communicate effectively, participate in philosophical debates or explore world religions. It’s a place for cultural enrichment, where you can discuss books, film, and theater, and meet authors and artists. It’s a place to find support, for solace and assistance in times of need. It's a place to learn, to engage, to celebrate, to get involved.
As a member of the New York Society for Ethical Culture you will have the opportunity to become an active and contributing participant in community events and committees, participating according to your time and interests. Membership is open to individuals 16 years of age and older or to family groups.
Member benefits include:
- Opportunity to attend members-only events, including weekend retreats
- Voting rights on important Society issues
- Participation on Society Committees
- Eligibility for our Board of Trustees
- Our Monthly Newsletter, Ethical Outlook
- Reserved seating at all NYSEC sponsored programs
- Discounts on education courses including Ethics for Children Sunday School, Leader-led courses, workshops, and more
Most importantly, you will join a diverse community of likeminded people who share your Humanist ideals and commitment to social justice.
Once you become a member, we encourage you to get involved in the life of the organization. The New York Society for Ethical Culture is our community and members nurture, sustain, and support it.
Become a Member
If you are interested in becoming a member, we encourage you and/or your family to get to know us.
- Attend Sunday Meetings, the primary community gathering each week. You'll be introduced to our programs and activities and have the opportunity to meet other members. Newcomers are invited to join us for a complimentary brunch following the Sunday meeting. If you have children, we invite them to attend our Ethics for Children Sunday School.
- Attend a newcomer reception with our Membership Associate and one of our Leaders to learn more about membership (usually held monthly).
- Meet with one of our Leaders
For more information, contact Margaret Determann in the membership office.